Monday, November 17, 2014

Introductions

Greetings from New Orleans, Louisiana!
I'm Ben, and this blog is dedicated to my attempted construction of a sailboat. Specifically, NAVIGATOR---a 15-foot yawl designed by New Zealand's John Welsford.

So, some questions you may be wondering:
Have I ever built a sailboat before? No, I have not.
Do I own a sailboat? No, I do not.
Do I know how to sail?  Kind of.
Have I spent any significant amount of time aboard a sailboat? Eh, depends on what you mean by "significant."
Longer than a day.  In that case, no, I have not.
Do I have any business building a sailboat?  Probably not.

Fortunately, I do have a decent background in woodworking (thanks, Dad):

See, there I am building a ridiculous throne contraption.  Clearly, I'm ready to tackle a wooden boat.

I'm also not going into this completely unassisted....Several considerate souls took the time to document their builds online, providing me with a wealth of knowledge about this particular build. Thus, I stand on the shoulders of those that have built before me.  In that vein, I hope this site will be a meaningful addition to the existing library of photo albums and blogs dedicated to NAVIGATOR constructions, though I imagine its greatest benefit will be showing what not to do. At the very least, this forum will provide a place for my friends and family to follow, and perhaps mock, my progress.

Alright, enough chit chat.  Let's get to work.
-Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment