Monday, November 17, 2014

Why NAVIGATOR?

Because she's such a fine looking boat, obviously.  Here's a few pictures of what I'm trying to put together:

Barrett Faneuf's YUKO.

Robert Ditterich's ANNIE.
Joel's ELLIE.

I really like the nearly plumb bow, sweeping shear, and that impressive yawl rig.  But lest anyone think I'm only concerned with looks, NAVIGATOR also seems to be the right boat for me. I spent almost a year looking over designs before I finally settled on this one.  She's the right size: small enough to trailer and sail single handed, but big enough to carry a few friends and stand up to the semi-open waters of Lake Ponchartrain  (New Orleans' northern boundry).  I have no desire for a row boat, so the beamy design suits my needs.  And the flat bottom and retractable centerboard/rudder make her ideal for beaching and possibly a little camping.  Yep, NAVIGATOR is the right boat for me, at least on paper.  Hopefully, my execution does Welsford's design justice.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your build
    Really looking forward to the build reports and eventual launch
    Steve
    Arwensmeanderings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete